|View printer-friendly version|
- New issued patents add to existing estate of over 600 patents and patent applications worldwide in the emerging field of pluripotent stem cell technology -
“As a biotechnology company, our intellectual property portfolio is an important asset that supports our product development programs and drives value in our business transactions,” said Dr.
In competition with Geron, the
Pluripotent stem cells are capable for the first time in the history of medicine of becoming all the cell types of the human body. The unlimited replicative capacity of pluripotent stem cells also allows for the first time, the production of master cell banks of the stem cells from which any human cell type can be manufactured in limitless quantities. This power to make the hundreds of cell types that comprise the human body combine with the massive scalability of the manufacturing platform, together leads to the interest the scientific and pharmaceutical communities have in using the technology to manufacture cells, instead of drugs, that can be used to regenerate tissues impaired by injury or degenerative disease. The rapid rise in age-related degenerative diseases such as age-related macular degeneration, arthritis, coronary disease, Parkinson’s, and stroke, to name a few, make regenerative medicine one of the most anticipated new technologies for the future of health care.
New Patents Owned by
- Asterias Biotherapeutics, Inc. is developing pluripotent stem-cell based therapies in neurology and oncology, including AST-OPC1 oligodendrocyte progenitor cells in spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis and stroke, and AST-VAC2, an allogeneic dendritic cell-based cancer vaccine.
- BioTime Asia, Ltd., a
Hong Kongcompany, may offer and sell products for research use for BioTime’s ESI BIO Division.
- Cell Cure Neurosciences Ltd. is an
Israel-based biotechnology company focused on developing stem cell-based therapies for retinal and neurological disorders, including the development of retinal pigment epithelial cells for the treatment of macular degeneration, and treatments for multiple sclerosis. ESI BIOis the research and product marketing division of BioTime, providing stem cell researchers with products and technologies to enable them to translate their work into the clinic, including PureStem® progenitors and HyStem® hydrogels.
- LifeMap Sciences, Inc. markets, sells, and distributes GeneCards®, the leading human gene database, as part of an integrated database suite that also includes the LifeMap Discovery® database of embryonic development, stem cell research, and regenerative medicine, and MalaCards, the human disease database.
- LifeMap Solutions, Inc. is a subsidiary of LifeMap Sciences focused on developing mobile health (mHealth) products.
- OncoCyte Corporation is developing products and technologies to diagnose and treat cancer, including PanC-Dx™, with three clinical trials currently underway.
- OrthoCyte Corporation is developing therapies to treat orthopedic disorders, diseases and injuries.
- ReCyte Therapeutics, Inc. is developing therapies to treat a variety of cardiovascular and related ischemic disorders, as well as products for research using cell reprogramming technology.
Statements pertaining to future financial and/or operating results, future growth in research, technology, clinical development, and potential opportunities for
To receive ongoing
Judith Segall, 510-521-3390 ext. 301